Friday, January 16, 2015

Getting out...exploring!


Wednesday evening I went to a cooking class.  To my happy surprise, it was a Paleo cooking class (that's my food plan).  I know the gal on the far left from  my days as an official in roller derby, and have enjoyed her journey to wellness.  "A" is an inspiration, and a friend.  Such a sweet lady!  Her friends were delightful and we all crammed around a table meant for 4-5.  We laughed, I spilled about $5 worth of whole peppercorns (we laughed more), we spent lots on vinegars and oils, and I think I may have at least one new friend.  Great night!

Unfortunately, the kitchen there is shared and I got glutened from cross contamination.  I worked Thursday but was quite sick, had to stay home today due to severe pain.  I've had to restrict my food a bit to let my system rest, which has led to insane carb cravings!  And I REALLY want a Coca Cola.  I did give in and had 2 fruits at lunch and a Lara Bar as an afternoon snack.  Luckily, that seems to have satisfied that monster and put it to sleep.  In times past, I've gone on a gluten free toast and mashed potato diet to heal from the colitis of a glutening.  I firmly believe my body has healed enough that I won't need to do that.  Tonight is a hot tea night, using this cool mug of a friend.  



Amen!  I have struggled much of my life with self acceptance and love.  I was a former Weight Watchers leader, sometimes leading 16-18 meetings a week, telling people how to lose weight and hopefully keep it off.  I was a size 8-10, having started at a 20/22.  I was SKINNY!  I loved that body, but I didn't know what to do with it.  I have gained back all the 85 pounds I lost, with a few friends.  The difference between then and now (10 years later), I'm older and wiser.  I've done the emotional work I needed to love myself.  Therapy rocks, try it if you think you need it (even if you don't).  I feel pretty much a-ok with my body now hated myself before the weight loss last time.  That was key to me losing and keeping it off.  And the sickness has helped solidify in my mind and heart that this is for life.

I was already a great person, but I wasn't all I could be.  I guess none of us ever really are.  :)  This change is helping me feel more positive, taller, capable, determined, loving, happy...and is allowing me to be well and fit.

It's been a big week full of lots of fun, happiness and adventure.  I got released from the walking boot and put into shoes (had to repair a ligament on my ankle in November).  I spent time with my doc discussing health and the Paleo diet, and she cleared me to do yoga.  I'm currently exploring those opportunities, maybe using www.yogadownload.com.   And like that mug, I'm growing into a greater me!

Here is a dish I threw together after the cooking class.  The oil/vinegar combo is amazing, purchased from Vom Fass at Hamilton Town Center.  The dish is cooked raw shrimp, seasoned with s&p, cayenne and garlic (in ghee).  I tossed with cilantro, cucumber, green pepper, red chili pepper diced, quick sauteed diced shallot (just throw in with shrimp to take the raw bite off), fresh cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper.  So yummy!  I added avocado but I had some the next day without and liked that one better.  Don't add the shrimp if you're not going to eat it right away.  Citrus cooks seafood.



Okay, that's enough for now.  So much fun is happening, change is good!!!

Keep workin' your plan, you got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment