Friday, March 20, 2015

Wow, I feel like I’ve lied to you all. My last post, 5 weeks ago, was about Never Giving Up! Apparently, I needed to listen to Mr. Churchill a bit more. I have NOT given up, but I’ve given in a few times. In fact, the whole quote is, “When you are going through hell, keep on going. Never never never give up.”– Winston Churchill. As my body seems to always do, it got sick again. I’m not going through hell, maybe just in the suburbs. J I finally asked my doc if this is what I am to expect with the plethora of diseases I have, and he said for the time being most likely. The more I work to get healthier, the healthier I will become, the less likely I am to have relapses. Common sense, huh? Well, I had to hear it from him.

We are all guilty of self-talk, admit it. You talk to yourself, don’t you? I say I am talking to my animals, but I admit, I think out loud. Yeah, that’s what I’m doing. Self-talk can be positive or negative, it’s your choice. I knew what my doctor said, I’d said it to myself, but I needed someone to reassure me. I know what I need to do, why I am doing it, and what I want at the “end”. But, I need support. To get that support, I now have two health coaches, one in person and email, one email and phone. I am utilizing a program through work (Humana Vitality) to log achievements, work on goals, do wellness checks and courses…I was required to hit Silver Status (before 8/31/15) to stay on my Wellness insurance plan next year, I hit Platinum Status in March. Platinum is as high as one can go, although points can still be earned. Some coworkers are thinking they will never hit silver, I’m trying to help them see it is possible.

I had set a goal to reduce my A1c to below 7, this is a 3 month indicator of what my diabetes looks like in my body. I had been 7.4 or 7.6 in December, by March I was 6.5 (on the line of diabetic and pre-diabetic). That earned me almost 4000 points and put me past Silver Status. Sure, my coworkers may not have this availability for these points, but good for them that they don’t have diabetes or it’s under control. I have a goal to reduce my blood pressure for which I am working on a course to help me. I am working on two other courses to get fit and get lean. Some of these will earn me points to buy more things, some will not. I just turned in more points and got a $25 Target giftcard!  Wahoo!

Has my food and activity been stellar the last couple of weeks? No. Have I given up? Hell no!  I began a part time job a few weeks ago, something I wanted for a while. The job, not just the extra income. I wish I could say I was used to the new schedule by now, but I can’t. I work at least two evenings a week, and most of every Sunday. That’s three days I used to have to complete meal prep, chores, social activities. I am having to trade in my priorities, and figure out how all of my old priorities can mingle with my new priorities. On top of this, I am fostering a momma dog and her puppy, both available for adoption soon. Life is crazy busy and I have to continue to put myself first, if I want to feel well enough to get through life and enjoy it. My health has felt worse these last couple of weeks, I know partly because of not eating 100% clean.

My in person Health Coach Jenna asked me yesterday if she could submit my name to our personnel division as a testimonial for the work wellness program. She’s been trying to help me see all the good I have done in order to help me stay on track. It wasn’t until she laid it all out in black and white that I saw all that I have accomplished, mostly in a very short time. Guess what, my food has been better since I read this. I signed the release form today, hopefully this will become a reality. Am I to my goal? No. Am I perfect? No. But I am trying!!!!!!!!!!

I leave you with some quotes that may help you on your journey.

Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about. Sir Winston Churchill



“It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.” Albert Einstein

“Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson



“Don’t be discouraged. It’s often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock.” Author Unknown



“Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts.” Author Unknown



“It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.” Confucius



“Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” Harriet Stowe



“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” Thomas Edison



“People are always blaming circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get ahead in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can’t find them, make them.” George Bernard Shaw



“Sometimes adversity is what you need to face in order to become successful.” Zig Zigla



“When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” Franklin D. Roosevelt



“Courage doesn’t always roar, sometimes it’s the quiet voice at the end of the day whispering ‘I will try again tomorrow’.” Mary Anne Radmacher



 “The day you give up on your dreams is the day you give up on yourself.”– Author Unknown

“When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.” Author Unknown


And last but not least, remember this: 

“Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use.”  Earl Nightingale






Keep workin' your plan, you're worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment